Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Slowly getting used to it...

So before I start on today's adventure, I will clue you in on my experience that occured last night. Nicole and I went to the grocery store with Allen and Gloria. I had just purchased my items when I realized that the clerk didn't give me all the change I was due - she only gave me 50 Rand and I should have gotten 50.05 Rand. So, of course, I asked her for the extra 5 cent Rand that I was due. Well, let's just say I got the weirdest look from the rest of the people in line. Then I got mean-mugged (which, if you don't speak Shannon, means I got a nasty look) by the store clerk. Since my mind wasn't on math at that moment, I didn't realize at the time that 5 cents (Rand) is worth less than a penny. Apparently most people throw them on the ground because they are so worthless. Even beggars won't bother to pick them up off the ground. So, I managed to announce to the grocery store that I was a very ignorant American. Oh well, I learned my lesson.

Today, Nicole and I went back to school with Allen and Gloria. We both felt like we were more in the swing of things today, and I started to feel in my element! I loved getting to work one-on-one with the kids, especially with the ones who seem to struggle. You can definetely tell that these kids don't receive a lot of love and praise, so even something as simple as a "good job!" can make their face light up! It was really encouraging, and I definetely started to feel like I was making a positive impact. The kids are so polite here (the most polite kids I have EVER seen), and they are so easy to love!

Here are some pictures of our day. There was going to be a video, but the internet doesn't want to load it. I'll put it up when I get home.

Me signing off on a student's work.


Nicole with one of the girls she got a chance to talk with today.


Nicole decided to make fresh lemonade (with the lemons from our lemon tree!)

I have had a lot of people say they enjoyed the lingo lessons, so here are a few more terms to familiarize yourself with:

a packet = a bag (either a grocery bag or a ziploc bag)

chips = either french fries or potato chips

a jersey = either a shirt or a sports jersey

a pancake = a crepe

flapjack = a pancake

tekkies (pronounced tackies) = tennis shoes

pavement = sidewalk

tar = road (a tarred road is a paved road)

just now = soon (but really, this could be anytime)

now now = right now

braai (br-eye) = BBQ

jam = either jelly or jam

jelly = jello

biscuits = cookies

If you want to get really complicated, try Afrikaans (a Dutch-English mix that sounds a lot like German) or the local tribal language!

3 comments:

  1. Cute pictures! I'm glad you girls are doing so well and enjoying your time with the students.

    I had to laugh out loud at your grocery store experience...I can just see your face when you realized what had just happened.

    Thanks for sharing and making us a part of this experience!

    Love you,
    Mom 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm really digin the pictures. you 2 are doing an awesome job! thanks for the translation menu. it's a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Briana! Love your blog -- especially the zebra stripes. Must work now-now (did I get that right?) but will follow along more once I get home (just now-ish?) You are missed here at the office!

    Karalyn

    ReplyDelete