Monday, August 16, 2010

To School Today

We are in Kokstad! Nicole and I decided that we are each going to update our blog every other day, so that you don't read the same things over and over again and that way we don't hog Allen's computer all night :) So check out her blog (on the side) to get the scoop on yesterday. I also figured out that Allen's computer doesn't accept my memory card. So all of the pictures on my blog will be Nicole's, and then I will update with my own when I get home.

Nicole and I accompanied Allen and Gloria to school today. I spent the day helping the 4th, 5th & 6th grade teachers, and Nicole helped out in the 1st & 2nd and 9th & 10th grade classrooms. The school is very different from back in the states! Each student essentially teaches themselves through various workbooks, and the teachers are there to make sure the students do the work :) and help answer any questions. It was a CRAZY day! I was running around the classroom like a mad woman answering question after question, listening to students read, checking off their work, etc. The hours just flew by!




Both of us at the school. It was really cold this morning (like winter in Seattle), but warmed up to about Seattle summer weather by the afternoon.


This is one of the buildings that makes up the school.




Some kids during their version of P.E.

We got stuck behind a herd of cows on our way home from school. Apparently they thought the road was a nice place to roam :)

I thought I might entertain you with some South African jargon I have learned:
a robot = a traffic signal
a zebra crossing = a crosswalk (Note: zebra is pronounced zeh-bra rather than zee-bra)
a boot = the trunk of a car
a buckey = a pick-up truck
a serviette = a napkin
a nappy = a diaper
a que = the check-out line in the grocery store
bananas are pronounced bah-nawh-nas
tomatos are pronounced tow-mawh-tos (but potatos are still potatos)
ask for the toilet, not the bathroom

But no matter how much jargon you use, the kids will still laugh at you because of your American accent!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea about alternating updates! LOVE the list of jargons and the fact that you get laughed at by the kids. Cute! Great pictures...it's fun to have an idea of what it is like where you are. It's odd to think I just started my day and you two are ending yours! Love you both and please give my love to Allen & Gloria!

    Mom 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bri, we're looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Keep 'em coming!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete